If you want to start your clothing line, the process can often look complicated and tedious. It is important to remember that for your clothing line to be successful; we need to start at the very beginning: sourcing manufacturers that will produce your clothes. This article will guide how to source manufacturers in Europe successfully.
Fashion is a difficult market to break into, especially if this is your first time starting your clothing line. Fashion is also one of the fastest-growing niches in the eCommerce market. The global apparel market currently stands valued at 1.5 trillion US$.
Given that the market is highly saturated, it is understandable that starting your clothing line can seem like a lot of work, especially when it comes to being successful. There are numerous things to take into account; you need designs, clothing manufacturers, suppliers, a unique product, a target audience, and much more.
Every step of the process is unique and requires a great deal of attention, therefor, in this article we will provide a guide on how to find a right manufacturer for your clothing line.
First step in finding the right clothing manufacturer
The first step in finding the right fit for you is deciding whether or not you want to produce the clothes yourself or you want to work with a manufacturer. It is important to remember that working with a clothing manufacturer can be a risk, time-wise and financially. Aside from these risks, working with a manufacturer also means you need to sometimes bulk buy items.
On the other hand, let us look at the cons of working together with a clothing manufacturer:
- creative freedom in producing the type of clothing you want
- more time to focus on marketing
- more time to focus on building a solid brand image
After deciding that the pros outweigh the cons, the next step is determining where your manufacturer is.
Second step in sourcing the right manufacturer
There are numerous textile and clothing manufacturers worldwide, and the cost will change depending on where you decide for your clothes to be produced. If you are to source your clothes domestically, the chances are it will cost you more than if you are sourcing clothes from other countries.
Even though sourcing domestically is more expensive, it still poses an opportunity. For example, you as a brand can emphasize the importance of sourcing products domestically, and locally, which is beneficial for your brand image but also for showing the local community that you, as a company, honestly care.
To go more in-depth, let us compare sourcing products in Asia versus sourcing products in Europe.
It is essential to mention that products from Asia are usually sourced in extremely large quantities – the larger the quantity, the cheaper the price of shipping is. If a European brand, for example, or an individual wants to launch a smaller product line, it would be cheaper and more efficient to do the whole process in Europe. Shipping for an order, for example, 100 samples, will cost a lot more than the product itself, therefore, alternative sourcing options come to mind.
Some other benefits to consider in sourcing in Europe:
- Faster delivery times
- Minimum order quantities can be smaller than in Asia
- Large order quantities are also possible
- European Union provides confirmations and certificates such as “Made in Europe”
- Better quality control
- Higher quality products (usually)
- Secure payment methods
Of course, it should be mentioned that you should always find a European manufacturer that can offer you a competitive price but also cater to your needs and wants.
Where can you find a manufacturer for your products? That is where we get to Wonnda. Here at wonnda, we work with top European producers for private labeling and contract manufacturing. Among our manufacturers, you can also find clothing manufacturers that are based in Europe.
As we have already established, the first step in getting your product to the market is probably the most crucial – finding the right production partner for your project.
The great advantage of wonnda.com is that you can let us do the heavy lifting. Let us know your project or product idea quickly, and we will approach the most suitable producers for your project and connect you with them. After deciding which manufacturer you want to collaborate with, the following step is to choose a type of producing clothes.
Third step in producing clothes
There are several types of clothing manufacturing processes to consider and they are:
- CMT production: “Cut, Make, Trim” type of production is an ideal choice for brands that already have their designs and also want to have complete control over their designs and packaging processes. This type of production is also beneficial for smaller companies that have built a positive relationship with their manufacturer.
- FPP production: “Full Production Package” is the type of production that is ideal for companies that are just beginning to enter the world of fashion and clothing production. This type includes a full package service that consists of design assistance, pattern creation and then the final production of the apparel. It can be more expensive than CMT production, but it also makes entering the apparel market a lot easier.
- Tech Pack: A tech pack includes you providing the manufacturer with as many details as possible. By doing so, you are minimizing the mistakes and misunderstandings that can take place during production. This type of production is amazing for establishing a good foundation to get the production up and running, but it also helps the whole team be on the same page.
Now that we covered the importance of how you source your manufacturers, it is time for us to help you find your perfect manufacturing match!